Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Ash Wednesday.

Thus ends the first day of Lent.

It was a curious day.  Having never participated in Lent, I had to do some research regarding its purpose to help myself from feeling as though I was taking part in something based on ritual.  While I still do not have a full understanding of the meaning of Lent, I am hoping to come to understand it better over the span of the days between now and Easter.

Father Tom said something at the service tonight that gave some light to Lent.
We are not to give anything up.  Rather, we are to exchange something of no value (an earthly desire) for something of the greatest value (Jesus).

That put it into perspective.

A quote from the bulletin:

I invite you, therefore, in the
name of the Church, to the
observance of a holy Lent,
   by self examination and
   repentance;
   by prayer, fasting, and self
   denial;
   and by reading and meditating
   on God's holy word.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...