Saturday, February 11, 2012

With My Whole Mind

Last night I went to hear Dr. Sproul speak.  It was not what I was expecting.  Rather than a lecture or seminar, it was a normal First Pres service.  Thus, his sermon was probably about twenty minutes long.  It was a bit of a surreal (right word?) night.  Upon being seated (aka, asking a bunch of CIUers if there was room for Hannah and me to squeeze in, which they made room!  Thank you!) I looked at the person sitting directly in front of me and discovered it was my cousin, Lin!  We chit chatted for a while waiting for the service to begin. 

As the service began I was thinking about the similarities between my grandfather's church and the Presbyterian line of worship.  My grandfather was a Presbyterian pastor, and it appears he merged aspects of that with aspects of other things, resulting in Oak Hill Bible Church.  Also, I was thinking about Dr. Sproul, a man of God, highly intelligent, greatly respected, whom many had come to see.  I began to wonder what his personal life is like.  Seeing people on the outside, in their public environment is different than on the inside.  I'm not saying entirely, but every family has their problems.  I just wonder how often we forget that when in view of a famous, intelligent, godly, person.

The most striking thing he said last night, in my opinion, was his admitting that he has never, for even a minute, loved God with his whole mind.  Of course I have heard the reference to love God with all my heart, soul, and mind.  The "mind" aspect of the verse never struck me.  I am to love God with my WHOLE mind!  This calls out to the intellect.  This is why reason, thinking, dwelling on God, and working things out "with fear and trembling" are so important.  God made us to be thinking individuals.  I appreciate that.  Our minds are meant to be worked, but for the glory of God!



1 comment:

  1. :) in answer to your question, my home on wheels is an ex-military truck which we exhibit at local air shows and events along with some othe vehicles, we made it into a camper :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...