Sunday, December 5, 2010

Is Ignorance Truly Bliss?

Something I have pondered the past two days is the question, "Is ignorance really bliss?"

My thoughts:
It depends.  If the situation is one that is good and knowing would be pleasant, then knowing would be "bliss."
In cases of wanting to surprise someone...well, they don't know they don't know something and it is a good something....so, they can wait.
If it is something that can cause pain, it is better to not live in a delusion.  Well, if I choose to not know something so I can keep believing what I have always believed, I am making a choice to not live in reality in that particular area.  If I choose to know I am opening myself up for potential pain.  In some cases my very foundations may be shaken.  Do I want to know?  Do I want to have to work through the pain?  Do I want to learn to deal with that and take the time to process it all?  Of course not.  However, I don't want to live in a delusion.
So, at what point is it wrong to choose to live in ignorance?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...