Monday, July 4, 2011

The 4th of July...A Few Thoughts

To begin, this is not meant to offend.  I am thankful to live in the USA and I love it here!  I have just been thinking a lot tonight and decided to process and share a little.

Over the past few years I have begun to notice that the holidays I once celebrated with meaning have become just a holiday.  I pause to remember what these days really mean and how I can actively remember that, rather than getting so caught up in the meaningless, money-making celebrations.

This day is the 235th anniversary of the birth of the United States of America.  When I stop and reflect I can only think of those (some) who came for freedom.  They had to fight for those freedoms.  Freedoms that many now take for granted.  What about the men who spent countless hours forming the documents on which we base our nation? 

No, I am not saying our founding fathers were all God-fearing men, because they were not.  But, they contributed to this nation I call my home.  Yes, I am sometimes caught up in "anti-America" thoughts because of my love of all things international, where I go to school, and my lack of agreeing with some of the things in this country.

I am, on this day, struggling within to have Patriotic Pride.  But, men and women have died for this country to continue to exist.  War has not touched our nation, as it has so much of the world, since the Civil War.  For that, we are blessed. 

But, why do we always reiterate "God Bless America"?  What is special about this country above the rest?  And, we have existed far less time than much of the world.  Why not "God Bless ____"?  Is it just because of the religion we claim for our country?

If you have thoughts, reasons, etc. I would love to hear!  I am just mulling and pondering on this July 4, 2011 while watching fireworks in multiple states and hearing many Patriotic Songs.

And....thinking of something a respected philosophy professor of mine once said.

To close, Thank You, Soldiers, for fighting, willingly, for the United States of America.  Thank you for putting your lives on the line for our freedome.  And, to the family members who have lost their loved ones who willingly put their lives on the line, and the cases where lives were forcefully taken, this day must mean far more to you than it ever will to those of us who have not lost in the way you have.

Uncle Michael, thank you for your service and your time spent in Iraq and Kosovo!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...