Sunday, July 17, 2011

Words, Books, Society, Reality.

Today I have been discovering An Intimate Anthology, Louisa May Alcott.  It has been an inspiring experience to read about this woman who, surprise to me, did not enjoy writing "moral tales for the young."  She was so talented as to be able to write in a variety of styles and portray, even in those potential "moral tales", pieces of her own life and of that which she was passionate.

I have been re-inspired to write.  I want to put to paper words that are worthy to be read.  Unfortunately, or maybe fortunately, I am becoming more and more aware of how difficult it is to write well.  I read portions of manuscripts and entire manuscripts and wonder what the standard is in today's society.  I need to go and spend some time in Barnes and Noble and peruse today's "literature."

A book I realized I need to re-read is Fahrenheit 451.  The book was written in a sense of "what if in the future..." in regards to books not being allowed, yet, we can look around and find the sales of hard copies of books have dropped since 2005, when book sales peaked (New York Times Magazine).  Electronic books are becoming increasingly popular.  Reality television shows are being created for everything!  If you thought one Bachelorette was enough, there is now one for country girls!  That is only one small example.  Is this book closer to what our society is facing than the author ever expected?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...