Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Why Do "Huggers" Win?

Instead of hugging, we take awesome pictures with elbow gloves.
"Huggers" win.

Are you a "hugger"?
I'm not.
I like genuine hugs.
I like hugs from particular people.
I like the freedom to not hug.

In college, I was introduced to "huggers".
I don't like being forced to hug people.
It feels artificial and stiff.

I have a friend from high school who I think I've hugged...twice?  Ever?
We both hug other friends, but we don't hug each other.
It's just how our friendship works.
We are happier that way.

Why do the "huggers" get to win?
Can I just stand there, hands at my side, and refuse their hug?
Why do I feel obligated to hug, and even initiate the pending hug, if I don't want to hug?

Crazy, super-casual, overly friendly, societal expectations.

Maybe I will start forcing myself to lean away.
Turn my body.
Extend my hand.
You don't see hugs abounding in Jane Austen.
Let's revert to the old ways.

It's nothing personal.
Hugs are just special.
And they are not indicative of your friend status with me.

*Disclaimer: I do like hugs.  Just not every time I see you.  Let them mean something.*

1 comment:

  1. haha! I know what you mean. I have some friends who I hug and others I don't and it's got nothing to do with how close we are really, its just sometimes people aren't 'huggy' people. I hate it when people hug everybody every time they see them too, and people they hardly know!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...