Saturday, September 29, 2012

Family: Learning to Laugh; Grandma Humor

Blog Challenge:  My family.

If you know me or have read my blog, you know I love my family.

Family is a special group of people who, though we may not always see eye to eye or get along, are always there.  We can move, grow up, get married, but our family will always be there.  "Be there" doesn't mean constant contact.  "Be there" means we can pick up the phone, send an email, or get together, and just keep going, even if it has been a while.

I love my family.  I'm pretty close with everyone on both sides.  I don't see everyone a lot.  But, I love the times we spend getting together and laughing, sharing memories, and making new memories.  Are we a perfect family?  Well, actually, yes.  I'M KIDDING!  No.

When my great-grandmother on my mom's side died, we celebrated her life and had so much fun in the process!  She was 97 and had lived a FULL life.  Yes, we had our moments of tears, but sometimes the tears were from laughing at stories of Grandma.  Do you know one time she got stuck in the bathtub and the fire department had to come and get her out?  No, of course you don't.  But, you do now.  She would also say, "Don't ask me to go with you if you don't really want me, because my bags are already packed."

While everyone was in for her memorial services, we sat around my grandparents family room eating Andes Mints and Oatmeal Cream Pies (her favourites), wrote memories of Grandma for the box her ashes were put in, and just shared time.

Also, I really like to think she was a flapper.

Great-Grandchildren Christmas Card '93?  I had a fractured leg and Josh clearly was not thrilled.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...