Saturday, September 22, 2012

Letters, Princess Di, A. Hepburn

Time to write today's blog challenge, since I did yesterday's earlier today.

I don't really like today's challenge.  I am supposed to write a letter to someone.  Why would I write a letter to someone and then post it for the world to see?  I don't know what you all put in your letters, but most of the time there is at least one thing I don't want the world to know.

Instead, I am going to share a few letter moments that pop in my head when I think about writing letters.

-When telling me about the importance of writing timely "Thank You" notes, Mama told me Princess Diana used to come in from an evening out, sit down, and immediately write her note to her host/hostess.  Princess Diana had something I don't...stamps always handy and a butler to post the note for her.

-I love the scene in Sabrina (with Audrey Hepburn, William Holden, and Humphrey Bogart) when Sabrina sits at her pretty desk in her quaint apartment above the garage and writes her suicide note to her father.  Of course, her attempt is thwarted by Humphrey, she goes to Paris, and well, I won't ruin the ending for you.

-My roommate went on a mission trip to China two summers ago, while I was in England.  When I returned to school after my time in Europe, she gave me a fountain pen and a bottle of ink.  Last summer, after finishing a new series by Brock and Bodie Thoene (go read their Great Depression and WWII series'.  Amazing historical fiction) I had some comments I wanted to send the authors.  So, I got out my pen and ink and wrote.  I had to do a second copy to make sure it looked nice and neat.  My hands were covered in ink, but it felt kind of nice and old fashioned.  Except, most people didn't get covered in ink...minor detail, minor detail.

-I think my favourite kind of letter is one that is from a dear friend that comes in a small envelope.  They are classic and look like they could be taken off a silver delivery tray (like in Little Women).  Of course, it is not necessary.  I love letters of any kind.

-I keep my letters.  I don't think I can recall throwing away a letter that is from a friend friend.  I will admit to tossing notes from 8th grade : )  When I visited Daddy in August, I had the most lovely surprise. He had my last Christmas card from Grandma waiting for me.  I had been thinking about it for a while and wishing I had my last cards from Grandma.  I don't know about my birthday card, but I do have my last Christmas card.  For that I am thankful.

Do any fun or special things come to mind when you think of writing letters?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...