Sunday, February 10, 2013

And, the Queen Is...

Heading into the pageant!
Slacks: J.Crew; Shoes: GUESS; Purse: J.Crew; Bracelets: NY&Co; Ring: Antique Store

Last night I had a new "beat" added to my list.
I covered a local pageant.
And, I will be covering upcoming pageants, as well!
It was slightly surreal, as I remembered competing on that same stage in a different pageant.
My mother pointed out that the purse I carried was my "Charger purse," just as the dress I wore was my "Charger dress." (Long story.  Short version: my high school's colors are black and orange.  Our team name, The Chargers.  My dress was such a vibrant tangerine/orange, we dubbed it the Charger Dress.)

Between growing up and the pageant being an older age group, it was an interesting experience.
I sat critiquing the outfits chosen.
The person I pegged to win, did not win (although, she won audience's choice...so, I don't know what the judges were thinking).

Attending a pageant in the rural south is an interesting experience.
Please, force any visions of Honey Boo Boo out of your mind.
Here, people cheer for the performers, regardless of talent.
Screams of adoring fans go longer than normal.
People's favorite things...are different.
And, chances are, you went to school with at least one person up there (if you aren't me, an outsider, you may have gone to school with half of them).

The Charger Dress.  Isn't it lovely?

Prom 2008

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...