Friday, February 15, 2013

Lent...More Than a Tradition


Lent is upon us.
To be completely honest, I'm feeling a little smug that I just enjoyed a super s'more (super means chocolate, butterscotch, and white chocolate chips).

Lent and I are not the best of friends.  It's the kind of relationship that really wants to happen...but then life happens.  Not being raised in a Lent practicing family, it was a new process in which for me to participate when I first began attending my wonderful Columbia church.

I didn't participate the first year because I was not prepared for it and didn't want to do it meaninglessly.  Last year I prepared and was all set to go.  But, my flesh won.  I just didn't see the point.  I didn't like denying myself.  Also, it became legalistic in my mind...which was not the point.

So, this year, Lent snuck up on me...after thinking about it periodically.  I didn't know if I would participate.  If I participated, I didn't know what it would look like.  I saw someone refer to a Lenten season they once experienced and how much of a growing time it was for them with God.  After much thinking, mulling, praying, journaling, I've entered into Lent, albeit differently than last year.

I would love to hear thoughts on Lent, reading suggestions on Lent (as I'd like to have a greater understanding), and any other thoughts you care to share!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...